- waited for the host’s friend to come and solve the washing machine problem (the programme selector knob was jammed. Required more force than we were prepared to do. )
- Then visited the city on foot.
- Climbed up to cliff top gardens. Nice views across the Rhône and surrounding countryside.
- Spent a long time in the Papal Palace learning the history and looking at the rooms. Had no idea Avignon had once been the Holy See and it was moved from there to Rome
- Walked on the famous Pont D’Avignon and watched an interesting documentary about why the bridge kept breaking and they stopped bothering to repair it. Hence only half a bridge. History of the song etc etc
- Had drinks at an outdoor cafe before returning to the apartment
- Dined out in another restaurant decorated in red (the only place we could find easily that had something interesting in the menu that I could eat. We were yet again disappointed. ( lamb chops were tough and it took 3 hrs to serve 2 courses. Almost an hour just to get a drink. But the waiter was jovial and friendly when he was there!!). We relaxed and filled in the time trying to remember the names and order of towns we have stayed in and where we ate dinner each night)
- Overall we decided that Avignon was a very nice city inside impressive town walls
Accommodation 63€ for 2
Cool start and warmed to a beautiful day. No wind
Lunch €12 in cafe at top of Papal Palace
Muffin and coffee for Tom and fresh lemonade and jar of yoghurt for Pauline
Dinner € 42 pp
- mixed salad
- huge lamb chops with spiced pumpkin purée and roast vege stack.
- bottle of wine