Day 41 Pont du Gard to Avignon
10 Oct 2019
|PHOTOS TO BE ADDED
- A long good bye from our hosts who were very keen to see us back again. Friendly lovely people
- Rode back along the bike route that we had gone on to Pont du Gard
- Returned to the tunnel with all the lights for Tom to make a video. After ‘playing’ there for awhile we returned back on the track and took the viaRhona path north. This was all on roads and when we got to the town of Montfrin we got off track and followed another route up a very steep climb. Luckily not too long!
- Google (me!) then took us on a wild goose chase doing a big loop around some vineyards on very rough tracks covered in large rounded river stones. Total nightmare to ride on. Ended up walking sections.
- Returned to the town. Decided to have lunch at a cafe. Excellent meal and great decision! Chatted with a German couple (cyclists) at the next table.
- Eventually back on route we found our way out of town.
- Still on roads but quiet ones until we finally rode on some dedicated cycle route for the last 12km into Avignon. Arrived at peak hour as usual!
- Great first impression of the city.
- Found our AirBnb apartment which is very nice. Bikes in a locked storage area.
- Trouble with getting washing machine to function. Contacted owner and went out to dinner!
- Lovely meal out
- feeling sad as we rode to our accommodation. It’s the last day that we are touring. .
Accommodation 63€ for 2
Distance Today58: km Distance Total: 1715 km
Cool start. Bit of a headwind after lunch but a sunny day
Brioche and bread - T
GF crackers - P
Jams and fruit juices
Tea and coffee
Lunch 30€ for 2
- chicken Provençal with amazing frites. Delicious meal.
- Sparkling water
Dinner 27€ pp
- roast cod with thyme flower flavoured creamy polenta and crushed spring onion and olive topping
- Spiced Yellow Plums with almond crumble and apricot sorbet (T)
- Yellow nectarine sorbet (P)