Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia and China 2017 travel blog

KL Tower - we went up to the viewing platform, but the...

Petronas Twin towers.

The Malaysian King's Palace in KL

National Memorial - 5 Malaysian Soldiers overcoming the evil of 2 Communist...

Some of the painted residences along the Melaka River when we visited...

The new Mosque in KL

Pulau Ketam - Crab Island - everything on stilts due to huge...

Entry to Batu Caves in KL - the Statue is 140 meters...

Inside Batu Caves.

A view from the 86th floor of the Petronas Twin towers.

Atop the Heli Bar

Atop the Heli Bar

Fabulous building in KL

In the Botanical Gardens

In the Botanical Gardens again

Well, KL did not disappoint. We had a great, central Hotel which allowed us to get around the city easily by monorail. Check out the Melia KL, if you are looking for somewhere central and nice to stay.

Following our 2am wake up in HaLong Bay, Vietnam, and a long wait to get through Customs at the KL Airport, we elected to take a taxi the 50+ kms into the city. Arrived at the Hotel, checked in then crossed the Street to the huge Shopping Centre and found some dinner!!

We had tours booked daily and after an R & R day, which we spent riding the monorail to KL Sentral, riding the train and generally just checking the city out, our first tour was an afternoon one taking us to the KL Tower as our first stop. Unfortunately, the tropical downpour came whilst we were there, so the views were too foggy for photos. We then visited the new King's Palace, a beautiful temple and other points of interest, with our lovely guide, Ganesh.

The following day was our day long trip to what we know as Malacca - or Melaka, as it is known there. Lots to see including a great river cruise. Saw the Catholic Church that is still operating and was built in 1710. Had a delicious lunch, visited the obligatory temples and enjoyed a rather hair-raising trip back to KL by our friendly guide, Elvin Raj.

We then had the morning free before an evening Walking tour - went to Chinatown with our Guide, Brendon, had rides on the train and the monorail, had dinner in a food hall and ended up atop the International college, where a bar is set up on the helicopter pad each night. Stunning views over the lit-up city.

Then, we had a day trip to Pulau Ketam, or Crab Island, calling in at the new Mosque on the way. We nicknamed our Guide Sam as he had a name longer than this post is so far!!!! Crab island is an hour's ferry ride from the Port, and is entirely built on very tall stilts, due to the huge tidal changes. The village stretches 3 kms inland and probably 2 kms along the shoreline. Had a yummy lunch, sharing it with a couple of religious guys from Hong Kong - one served up the food for the other, who we believe was the Master!! Friendly men, but only few words of English.

On our last day, we had a day tour of the City planned- it had been cancelled from Day 1 in KL due to a Public Holiday being proclaimed honouring Malaysia's record haul of medals in the SEA Games - and the Twin towers were shut on Public Holidays!!

Some of the places we were taken to, we had already visited, but it was a pleasant day with Wanan, our Indian Guide. We had tickets for the 3pm group to go up into the Petronas Twin Towers, including a stop at the Bridge between the two Towers. The time we had allotted was an hour but took us up to the top floor the 86th for some spectacular views over the city. We left there about 4.30,collected by Wanan, and a long, very, very slow peak hour crawl back to the hotel, arriving at 5.30.

6am the next morning, had us checked out and one of our guides, Brendon, had organised a mate's Uber to collect us and take us back to the airport - a much quicker ride at that hour of the morning. We were quite sorry to leave KL as there is plenty more to see, especially out in the countryside - another time, maybe??

Arrived back into Perth at 3.30pm, headed in to the city on the bus with an easy walk to the Parmelia Hilton for an overnight stay. Met Troy, Brett & Manni for dinner. Caught up with Kayla at her workplace in the city the next morning, before getting the train towards home, as far as Warnbro, where Sharon, Ken and boys (in a new car) met us. Had a few hours together for a late celebration of RJay's 10th birthday a few days previously, then Shaz drove us home.

3 days later, I went down with one of the horrible 'bugs' doing the rounds - and 4 weeks later, am still trying to beat it!!!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |