Heather and Gary in the Baltic - Spring 2016 travel blog

Masses of lupins growing along the rail embankments.

Heather getting ready to leave the train in Gothenburg.

Thursday June 9

Oslo to Gothenburg

Today we took our time sorting out the suitcase before breakfast. Check out time was noon, so we had time for a short stroll in Studenterlunden Park after breakfast. It was a cool and cloudy morning but the sun came out as we walked. At a sunny spot in the Park, we stopped for a coffee and fed a few hungry sparrows with granola-bar crumbs. After finishing our coffees, we returned to the hotel to check out and walk slowly back along Karl Johans Gate to the railway station for the final leg of our journey from Oslo to Gothenburg. On the way to the station, we bought some O.J. and bottled water for our lunch on the train, leaving us with zero Norwegian currency (except for the 1 Krona coin which Gary will use as a golf marker).

Our train left Oslo on time and we were pleasantly surprised with our seat selection as we had 'single seating' arrangement, with plenty of legroom and two large windows for viewing. We were aware that we were approaching Sweden when a customs official came onto the train and simply asked us if we had anything to declare. The scenery between Oslo and Gothenburg was not as spectacular as the Bergen to Oslo trip but it was nevertheless very pleasant. One notable feature was the numerous lupins growing wild along the rail embankments and roadsides.

On arriving in Gothenburg we found our way to the 'Flygbuss' (airport bus) to Landvetter Airport. It took about 30 minutes to reach the airport where we had a short walk to our hotel just across the road from the terminal (almost!). Our flight to Frankfurt was at 7:00 in the morning and we decided to stay at the airport to give us a little more sleep in the morning. After checking, we tried update the travel journal before dinner but the laptop would not function (go figure!). Instead, we had a glass of wine in our room, then went to the hotel dining room for a nice meal. Since our wake-up call was expected at 4:30 in the morning, we were in bed by 9:00.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |