South East Asia - Winter 2012 travel blog





First of all sorry for the delay in posting to this journal. I've been extra busy since I started this trip and at night I'm exhausted and I collapse into bed. Malaysia is proving more tiring to travel trough than I had anticipated, but more about this later.

This entry is about re-assuring everybody that I am still alive, and to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! And also to briefly summarize my short passage through Hong Kong where I spent 1 day and 2 nights upon arrival in Asia.

I spent most of that time with my friend Sharrie who came to meet me at the airport. On the first night, she took me (by public transit) to my guesthouse and then took me for dinner to this nice restaurant where I tasted some peking duck as well as a flavourful noodle dish in a peanut broth. I tried to appreciate everything despite my zombie state, having just landed after 20+ hours in transit.

My guesthouse, perfectly located in Tsim Sha Tsui was the size of a walk-in closet, but had everything I needed, including a hair drier (a real luxury on my budget trips). We even walked around a bit to check out some of the Xmas decorations before I collapsed into bed and slept for 10 hours. The weather is a little chilly in HK at night (around 13C) and cheaper guesthouses are not heated so I asked for an extra blanket.

The day of the 27th was sunny and beautiful with perfect temperature for walking (16-19C). I went looking for breakfast/lunch (it was aound noon already) and a coffee, and found Nathan Road a lot more pleasant than I remembered from my previous trip in 95. Sharrie confirmed that they've been cleaning up the area. There were lovely wide sidewalks and not too many people on them on this Tuesday morning. Spent some time in a large park hidden in the middle of the city. Then I met Sharrie at 3:00 and we boarded a bus to go to Victoria Peak, which affords excellent views of the city. Despite the haze, the views were grand, and one of the new highrises (the ICC tower – 108 floors I think) reflected the sunlight and looked like a rocket about to take off! Coming back at night afforded more views of the Christmas decorations, which mostly take the form of images on the sides of buildings (sponsored by the companies that own the buildings I believe). The lights on several of the displays flickered, making it a challenge to photograph against the pitch black background.

Right now I'm in Melaka, 2 hours south of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia with either a cold or an allergy, I'm not sure which. Hopefully I can post another update soon summarizing my time in Malaysia so far. Take care everyone!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |