Bill and Jan's Big Adventure travel blog

We have had a wonderful trip and have decided it was time to head home. It has been too long since we have seen our family and didn’t realize how much we would miss all of them.

We spent a couple of weeks in Youngstown, Ohio visiting family and friends. Got to spend some extended time with Jan’s mother as well as see many friends. As we packed up to leave it was hard to say goodbye. We commented on what an easy trip it had been with no breakdowns or setbacks. What a surprise in store for us.

We had only driven about 5 miles on our way out of town when we lost power in our truck and had black exhaust pouring out of the tail pipe. Luckily we were able to get into a parking lot and off the road. After a two hour wait for a tow truck we were able to go right back to our friend’s house to spend the night with AC and left our fifth wheel sitting in the lot while our truck was being repaired. Thank goodness for extended warranties because with only our deductible to pay we were on the road the next afternoon.

As we were happily making our way south down I79 in West Virginia, a car pulled up beside us to say we had just had a blow out on the fifth wheel. Both of us had heard a noise but nothing loud and there was any handling problems. We sat at the side of the interstate for almost three hours waiting for our road service to send someone to change our tire. After several telephone calls back and forth with road service, they sent the West Virginia courtesy patrol. Well, long story short, SHE could not break loose the lug bolts and couldn’t change the tire. It ended up that we had to pay $50 out of our pocket to get the tire changed. Now we have to fight with the road service to try to get our money back.

By the time we arrived at a campground it was 10:00 at night. I asked for the easiest site they had to get into so we could just get settled, have a light dinner, shower and go to bed. I think the person who checked us in thought I said the “hardest” site they had. Of course, it would be a night with no moon for any natural light. The roads in the campground were very narrow and on the side of a mountain. Bill ended up going off the road but thankfully, we didn’t damage anything. Then into the site which was probably the most uneven site we had ever been in. Our final comments for all of this don’t ever stay at Flatwoods KOA – it was probably the most expensive campground we had stayed at so far and the hardest to maneuver though to the uneven sites they had!!!

The next morning off we go to find a new tire to replace the one that blew out. After several calls we were able to locate a tire shop in Summerville, WV where we found out we had to replace two tires because of a broken belt on one of the “good” tires. Mission accomplished and off we go again heading south.

The next morning as we were getting ready to head further south Bill checked the tire pressure only to find we were 20 pounds low on one of the new tires. He was able to air up the tire from our portable compressor and off we went. Along the way he checked the pressure again and found we were low again so off we go to find another tire dealer where we can get our rig in. Remember we are over 50 feet long with our truck and fifth wheel. Luckily we found a small tire dealer in Pooler, GA who determined we had a bad valve stem and had us back on the road within a half hour.

Flagler Beach, FL – here we come!!!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |