In my year off I've come to realize that more ofteh than not I enjoy the journey more than the destination. Arrival at my location is often an anti-climax. (I wonder if I have the same issues with relationships?).
The attached photos show one of my more memorable journeys - for its length, variety and places visited en route. In one non-stop journey spanning two days I undertook the following. Why? I wanted to visit Darjeeling to see the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute and stay in a Raj era hotel - I got sidetracked from Nepal to Tibet to China to KL, then Jakarta, so had to backtrack.....:
- Taxi from hotel in Jakarta (Indonesia) to Jakarta airport
- Air Asia flight from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur airport
- Air Asia flight from KL to Kolkata (Calcutta), India
- Taxi across Calcutta - during rush hour - from the airport to the bus station
- Overnight sleeper bus - "The Rocket" - from Calcutta to Siliguri in West Bengal
- Shared jeep - with 10 other people - from Siliguri to Darjeeling.
- Collapsed into the Planters Club (Darjeeling Club).....
I think is my personal best for countries crossed/transport used on one continous journey.