Kyla and Nick Around the World travel blog

We were only there for 1 night, so we really only have...

We arrived in Ipoh a few hours late to catch the bus into the Cameron Highlands. No worries! Off to the YMCA for a pleasant night's stay. (OK, I'll admit that I was leery when Kyla suggested the Y, but in my defence, I didn't really know that they had actual private rooms and stuff. For some reason, I thought it was where drunk old scary men went to crash. My bad. And sorry for any kind of reputation impingment, Y.)

We then caught the 11:00 am bus to the Cameron Highlands, except that we didn't. We missed it by ten minutes, because we didn't actually know when the bus was. No worries, we thought, we'll catch the 12 o'clock bus, which unfortunately was only a figment of my imagination. The next bus was at 3, so we spent four hours hanging out at the much nicer, and breezier, train station. For a place as advertised as the Cameron Highlands, I would have guessed there would have been more than four rickety buses that wound their way up the hill each day. However, it all worked out in the end, except for the random 1/2hour stop by the side of the road on the way up, where most of us on the bus were thinking we had broken down.

Oh, and a quick angry shout-out to the bus driver who drove us from the coast to Ipoh. Driving us to Ipoh actually means dropping us off at the bus station, not dropping us on the side of the busy highway across from the bus station, in a sketchy part of town, simply because you were too lazy to do a u-turn. We had to run across 6 lanes of traffic with our packs to try and catch the bus to the Cameron Highlands. You are lucky we were two hours too late, not just a few minutes, otherwise I'd be ... well ... I guess I could talk badly about your company, except that I forget which one of the many dozen Malaysian bus companies you worked for. I guess I would just curse you from afar.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |