Robyn's Travelling Adventures travel blog






Torrent Bay from track

Torrent Bay itself, a nice empty beach...except for the sandflies

On the morning of the 23rd I left Wellington and got the Interislander ferry across the Cook Strait to the South Island. The ferry took 3 hours and after a long wait for the bus, we were on our way to Nelson at 12.30. Nelson is the gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park, it is a World Heritage site and consists of rainforest, beaches and islands. So we booked our adventures and then settled into the hostel for the night.

The morning of the 24th we got picked up at 7am and taken to Kaiteriteri where our adventures started. There were 2 other people doing the same trip as me, which was an aqua taxi ride the length of the National park and then a 2-3 hour walk through the rainforest before getting the aqua taxi back. The aqua taxi took us to split apple rock, which has a Maori legend along with it that says how the god of the forest and the god of the sea argued over who it belonged to as at high tide it was in the water, but at low tide it was on the land, one of them got so angry they threw their axe, and it split the rock. It's a more exciting story than the geographical reason anyway...

After this we went on a tour of several of the beaches, it's quite a nice time of year as the beaches are pretty deserted and apparently at the height of summer they get very crowded. We then were taken to Tonga island, where there is a colony of fur seals, most of them lying on the rocks, not doing much, but there were a couple of babies and one decided to swim in the water for a bit before lying motionless on a rock.

After travelling the length of the park we were dropped off at Bark Bay to make our way through the forest to either Torrent or Anchorage Bay. We stopped at a couple of viewpoints, and got to Torrent Bay at about 2.30pm. However, my knees were hurting again, so I opted to stay and lie on the beach, trying to avoid sandflies, whilst one of the other girls carried on to Anchorage Bay. The taxi piked us up at 4pm and then we were back at Kaiteriteri and making our back to the hostel. It was an amazing day though, and you can do sea kayaking there as well, but as I'd done it in Paihia I figured I'd give it a miss here.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |