Merci, Gracias, Khap Khun Ka, Thank You!!! travel blog

This bench was actually softer than the bed last night

Here's our lunch lady!

The War Museum

Chris' new ride

Chris and his Interview Team

Siti, Ariane and Budiman

As some of you may know, there has been some civil unrest in the south of Thailand as of late. In order to avoid this, today we scooted through all that nonsense and crossed over into Malaysia. Just wanted to say hello and let everyone know that we made it safe and sound. There certainly were obvious signs of tension the further south we travelled, most obviously seen in the form of Thai military police that patrolled the train and train stations. They were all very courteous to us which was pleasant, especially since each of them were sporting huge Uzi's or M-16's. We had a strenuous day of travel - 10+ hours on a non-airconditioned train and another hour or so via bus to get us to the town of Kota Bharu. From here we will head south to do some trekking in the jungles and hopefully will swing by Kuala Lumpor as well as Singapore. And don't worry (Mom, this means you), the political climate is more stable here in Malaysia and we will be safe and sound. We will most likely catch a cheap one-way flight back to Bangkok in order to bypass the southern Thai unrest once again.

After a decent night's sleep, we decided to do some sightseeing here in Kota Bharu, the city has many interesting museums rich with Malaysian history. Our first stop was at the World War II Museum with some cool photos and interesting artifacts from the Japanese occupation of Malaysia in the 1940's. Afterwards, we had planned to move on to another museum but enroute we were intercepted by 2 men and 2 women who are students at the local Teachers College. They were on assignment for the college to find 2 foreigners and tape an interview which they later were to transcribe and analyze the speaking patterns. When they found us they had been searching for 2 full days to no avail so we were more than happy to volunteer our services. We were escorted to the local McDonald's where they pleasantly offered to buy us some burgers but we opted for a bottle of water instead. Ariane and I were then separated and interviewed for about 10 - 15 minutes. The students were very nice, and asked questions about our backgrounds and our travels. Afterwards, we all exchanged photos and we were given gifts of keychains from their college as thanks for our time. We hope that they get an A+ for their project, although with as much as I mumble it might be a bit difficult.

Hope everyone is doing well and start booking those reservations to meet us in Paris!!

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |