Things I didn't know until I lived in a village
Jan 14, 2009
|Things I didn't know until I lived in a village
- Under the same condition, our hygeine standard is much lower than the villagers (We don't wash our feet everyday, we shower about once 1-2 weeks, we don't wash face and comb hair everyday, we never change our socks, went from changing underwear once a day to once a week, etc. Originally, we were planning to be an example of a hygiene family for the villagers!)
- We don't have to eat meat every day and don't miss it
- We are comfortable going to the toilet in front of our door (unlike the villagers who still go to the field; even the dog doesn't pee in front of his sleeping area)
- Don't have different chopping board for vegetable and meat; use the same board and same knife.
- We have an organic garbage disposal - the pigs.
- We eat leftover from other customers in the restruant. What a waste of meat when one only eats it once in a while.
- Fire can be started anywhere around the village to cook potatoes as long as there are trees.
- Duck will pester you for food by pulling on your pant leg, tripping, quacking all over the place until you give in.
- Pigs like to be scratched under the chin and ears and like a belly rub.
- To move a stubborn horse, one should pull the rein to the right and left, not straight forward or back.
- Pig bladder can be blown up with a wheat straw to make a volleyball.
- Pig fat is more precious than meat. One rather wastes meat than fat. We wake up early in the morning to buy the best fat, rather than meat.
- We changed from washing hands after touching the cat to not washing hands at all even after touching the pig.
- RMB 10 cents still goes a long in the snack store outside of the village school.
- Pit fire can be used to not just bake potatoes or hot dogs but can stir fry, deep fry, bake, stewing, etc.
- It is easy to start a fire using a pine wood full of resin.
- Put a cup of water next to coal fire to reduce monodioxide poisoning.
- It takes 21 days to hatch and egg and the hen only gets up 10 minutes a day to eat something before sitting back in the nest.
- When a hen is right in the middle of laying egg, the hen clucks several times in a row.
- In the village, dogs are meant to be chained up always while cats are not meant to stay indoor but roam outside all the time, opposite from the US.
- Farm animals are easily spoiled by better food. Once they tried rice, they won't eat corn or feeds.
- Just rub salt on pork and hung to dry to have your own homemade preserved meat.
- We are very flexible eater compared with them. They are not able to eat food that has suger or dairy products.
- Didn't know fuzzy, furry "outdoor" slippers exist.
- Don't notice when there are animal feces in the courtyard or when we step on them.